What is CQ Cloud Manager?
If you are new to these terms, Adobe CQ Cloud Manager is a management interface to ease the commissioning of Cloud instances of Adobe CQ5 on the cloud infrastructure of your choice. The current supported providers include Amazon EC2 and Rackspace, and it is EC2 that has a presence in Singapore that I’ve been using. Within a few minutes I can configure a full production ready installation of CQ5, and have it ready for use in less than an hour.
Ahh.. yes.. everyone is talking about “the cloud” right? Well here are a few real world examples of where customers I am talking to are using CQ in the cloud today.
- Landing pages / Campaign Microsites
- Digital Asset Management
- Shared development environment (Outside the firewall!)
- User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
- IT can take 3 months (or more!) to provision infrastructure!
and many many more reasons… every time without fail when I demonstrate the ease of use of CQ5 together with a Cloud provider you can see the excitement in peoples eyes!
But what about my country?
As Rackspace & Amazon extend their footprint, CQ5 in the Cloud will be available in more physical locations. For instance at the timing of writing this post Rackspace are opening a new data center in Sydney, Australia. There are rumors of Amazon doing something similar this year as well. Even without a local instance, deploying CQ5 together with a good caching service like Akamai or CloudFront will provide a fast & snappy experience for all your users.
How do you get started?
- Create an Adobe ID, if you don’t have one already from using Adobe’s web site. It’s free
- Bring your own CQ license, if you have one congratulations! If not, contact your local Adobe sales manager
- Sign-up for an Amazon AWS or Rackspace account, if you already shopped on Amazon.com (duh!) you just need to turn on the AWS service. The key thing is, you do not need to know anything about AWS to use CQCloud.. except maybe the billing structure.
You are now 1 Dialogue box away from starting a Cloud instance, and in less than 30 minutes (depends on transfer time from Adobe’s data center to your Amazon / Rackspace instance.) you’ll have a fully configured CQ5 installation up & running. No need to install operating systems, no need to copy & install software, no need to configure routers etc etc etc. Now get back to authoring content and having conversations with customers!